The Town of Monument is a statutory town situated at the base of the Rampart Range in El Paso County, Colorado, United States. Monument is bordered by Pike National Forest on the west, Colorado Springs and the United States Air Force Academy to the south, foothills and rock outcroppings to the north, and rolling plains to the east. Monument was first settled as a stop along the Rio Grande Railroad in 1872, and the area was incorporated as a town called Henry’s Station in 1879, but the name was later changed to Monument. The town population was 5,530 at the 2010 United States Census an increase of 181% from the population of 1,971 in 2000. On April 1st, 2019, the town declared itself to be a Second Amendment sanctuary.